Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I am inquiring on behalf of my sister who chose to be our

Customer Question

Hi Pearl - I am inquiring on behalf of my sister who chose to be our mothers caregiver after a stroke 7 years ago. Mom just passed 11/8. My sister says that mom had an account that taxes were never paid on and that she owed the IRS 32,000.00 in back taxes. Is my sister responsible for taxes due? It was just in my mothers name only. How are IRS debts handled after death? My sister lives in North Carolina.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: When mom had the stroke 7 years ago, she had a home down the street from my sister. They made the decision to find a home that would make it easier to care for her, so they sold both their homes and found one they could all live in to make it work. Because both houses were sold, moms name was also on the new home for it to be financially possible. Would they be able to make my sister pay moms IRS debt?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Please accept my sincere sympathy on the passing of your mom.

Your sister is not responsible for your mom's tax debt.

Does the IRS have a lien on the house your mom and your sister own? If not, your sister is in the clear since she now owns the house by herself, and the IRS cannot put a lien on it now to satisfy your mom's tax debt.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb