Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Stock transfer-I had an Idaho LLC which I own with my wife.

Customer Question

Stock transfer-I had an Idaho LLC which I own with my wife. I worked for a company, which paid me with stock, and they issued the 1099 to my company, and put the stock certificate in my company’s name. I was asked to close the company when my wife and I were getting financing on our new home. I now need to transfer the stock to my name; would I have a tax consequence sine the stock was not sold and no gain or loss was recorded on the sale?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 18 days ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help you with this one.

...

First, the LLC (with two owners) is treated as a partnership, unless either S-Corp or C-Corp taxation was elected.

...

SO all you really have here is a distribution of property from the partnership.

...

Had this been a single member LLC, (a disregarded entity for tax purposes) this would not be a taxable event ... You would have established basis in the shares as they were taxed to you.

...

Here, it may be a little different, procedurally, but the substance may be the same... Was the income from this passed through to you on the 1065's K-1?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'm sorry it's a k-1 and it's a S-Corp not a LLC? So, is it a distribution on my K-1? can I gift it to myself?
Expert:  Lane replied 18 days ago.

It's just a distribution on the K-1.(line 19)

...

and only taxable if you don;t have that much basis in the partnership (say you had been taking losses or other distributions)

Expert:  Lane replied 16 days ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane