Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I JUST RECENTLY GOT MARRIED IN SEPTEMBER, MY HUSBAND MOVED

Customer Question

I JUST RECENTLY GOT MARRIED IN SEPTEMBER, MY HUSBAND MOVED IN THIS MONTH. ALTHOUGH HE STILL OWNS HIS OWN PLACE.. IVE ALWAYS BEEN THE HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD (I HAVE 2 CHILDREN) I PAID ALL MORTAGAGE PAYMENTS, HOME EXPENSES MYSELF ALL YEAR. WOULD I BENEFIT FROM FILING MY TAXES SEPERATELY FOR THIS FIRST YEAR?
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 17 days ago.

As you are married and you lived with your spouse at sometime in last six months of the year you cannot use Head of Household.

Married filing separately is not the same as filing as a single person. In most cases, it doesn’t make sense to file separately because a married couple will usually end up paying more total tax with two returns.

Filing separately can disqualify or limit your use of potential tax breaks, including (but not limited to):

• The child and dependent care tax credit
  • The adoption credit
  • The Earned Income Credit
  • Tax-free exclusion of U.S. bond interest
  • Tax-free exclusion of Social Security benefits
  • The credit for the elderly and disabled
  • The deduction for college tuition expenses
  • The student loan interest deduction

You should prepare the tax returns both ways then see which (joint or separate) works out better for you both.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 17 days ago.

I did not advise on this before but if one of you itemizes the other must itemize as well even if it means more tax for them.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)