Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

For an estate that wanted to take advantage of possible

Customer Question

For an estate that wanted to take advantage of possible upcoming estate tax repeal, is there a correct way to elect the alternative valuation date for that?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 17 days ago.

The personal representative makes the election by indicating so on IRS Form 706 at line 1, page 2, part 3. The estate must be large enough that it will owe estate taxes, and using the alternate valuation date must reduce that tax liability for the estate to qualify.

If the alternate valuation date values are used, all assets must be revalued, not just those that have gone down in value.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Right, but can you elect it somehow if you just want to avoid the current estate tax and use the one in six months (should it change)? Or does it have to be only market related that the value of the estate goes down? For instance if it was all cash, could you elect it?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 16 days ago.

If it was all cash then no.

The election must be used to reduce the tax liability for the the estate. There has to be an estate reason for the valuation.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 16 days ago.

If you rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) I am credited with responding. It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.