Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

Regarding a severance payout. If I exercise my 45 day right

Customer Question

regarding a severance payout. If I exercise my 45 day right to review the severance and that moves me into 2017 before i agree and sign it will the taxes on the severance be for 2016 or 2017
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: yes I am 49 years old
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 24 days ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

The income would be recognized when you have a legal right to it. If you exercise your right to review the severance, I am assuming that you will not be paid until this review period is over. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
not sure but i would assume they will not pay me until i sign agreement and 45 days will put me into 2017

If you receive the money in 2017, it would be taxable in 2017.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today