Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

How do you establish basis when converting a residential

Customer Question

how do you establish basis when converting a residential condo to a rental that I lived in for several years? Original purchase price was $145000 at the time of conversion the condo value had dropped to $86000. Is my basis the 145000 or 86000?
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. There were on improvements or other adjustment to basis that I know.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 27 days ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

Your basis in the property would be your original purchase price. If you made any improvement to the property over the years you would add this to your basis.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.