Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I owe 44,221 for 2015. just haD MY 2015 TAXES COMPLETED I

Customer Question

I owe 44,221 for 2015. just haD MY 2015 TAXES COMPLETED I DID TWO EXTENSIONS DUE TO BUSINESS AND A PERSONNAL MOVE. HOW HARD IS IT TO SAT UP MONTL;Y PAYMENTS TO PAY THE DEBT I OWE THE IRS? THANK TOY.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kim. Yes, you can get this worked out. This happens all the time and the IRS is set up to handle situations exactly like yours. And, given that you owe less then $50,000, it's even easier than if the amount owed was in excess of $50,000. A taxpayer unable to pay the full amount of taxes due can deal with the IRS in one of two ways: i) if the taxpayer can pay it within 72 months, the IRS will work out an installment payment arrangement with the taxpayer; if the amount due is under $50,000, the taxpayer can do this on-line; or ii) if not, the taxpayer would want to file an application for an Offer in Compromise where the IRS will agree to forgive all or a portion of it that can't reasonably be paid within the 72 month period. There is a step by step process for filing the Offer in Compromise application, as well as the full details of the program, in the IRS Offer in Compromise booklet which you can find at the following website: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f656b.pdf

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!