Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

If I sell a boat/home to my wife and since the IRS claims I

Customer Question

If I sell a boat/home to my wife and since the IRS claims I owe 2007 back taxes which I find questionable at least - in a dispute and they win, can they take the boat which is our home away from her since she would now owns it
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 27 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

How did you file your 2007 tax return? Jointly with your current spouse or separate?

The IRS can lien or levy any property your name is ***** ***** in some cases was recently attached to. Before the IRS garnish somebody's residence or any real estate, it will first try garnish your bank accounts, wages or even social security check - easy cash. But here's the problem. If the IRS already put a lien on it, or find out that you are trying to hide assets by transferring the title to your spouse or other relative, they may levy it with a short notice.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 26 days ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?