Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

My father died 10-29-16. I am his executor; I can find no

Customer Question

My father died 10-29-16. I am his executor; I can find no indication he filed his 2015 Fed (or state for that matter) taxes. How do I handle this? I know I have to do the estate taxes, but how do I handle the "missing" filing? Also, do I have to file individual taxes also for the Jan-Oct 2016 time frame ?
JA: The accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the accountant should be aware of?
Customer: like what
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 29 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

As his executor it is one of your responsibilities to settle all his debt and file all missing tax returns before you can distribute the remaining assets to the beneficiaries. You will need to file the 2015 and also 2016 (Jan - Oct as personal, Nov + Dec as estate if required).

If you don't have all his information, you can request his IRS transcript to get all his tax forms here:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Expert:  emc011075 replied 29 days ago.

Any questions?