Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have to file my last two years taxes as it didn't get done

Customer Question

I have to file my last two years taxes as it didn't get done as I thought it did with my now ex husband. So I have 3 small questions. 1. The year we were separated can I file single and head of household as I have my two kids. 2. The year before we were separated can I file married filing single and head of household with my kids. I do not want to file with him and have any of his issues associated with mine. 3. And when you file separately do I have to put any of his information on my return?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

OK, in years where there is a legal separation agreement, you can file as single (head of household if the children qualify as dependents)

...

In years where you are still married, you can either file as married filing jointly (MFJ), or married filing separately (MFS).

...

MFS only requires that you enter his social secueurity number on the return (he is not required to file)

...

Then there's ONE exception for Head of household while married and that's called "considered as married," where you lived apart for the last six months of the year.

...

And again, ANY time that you file as Head of Household, there must be at least one qualifying dependant.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

So on 1. that's a yes, as long as there was a written separation agreement OR you lived apart for the last 6 months of the year (and at least one child qualifies)

...

Relationship

• Your son, daughter, adopted child1, stepchild, foster child2 or a descendent of any of them such as your grandchild
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, step brother, step sister or a descendant of any of them such as a niece or nephew

Age

• At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) and younger than 19
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) younger than 24 and a full-time student
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was any age and permanently and totally disabled3

Residency

• Child must live with you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) in the United States4 for more than half of the year

Joint Return

• The child cannot file a joint return for the tax year unless the child and the child's spouse did not have a separate filing requirement and filed the joint return only to claim a refund.

...

On 2 So sorry, no UNLESS you can be "considered as unmarried," which requires that you not live together for the last six months of the tax year

...

On 3 The only information is his Social Security number

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

...

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.