Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Do I have to pay property taxes on my mother's property if a

Customer Question

Do I have to pay property taxes on my mother's property if a sibling has been living in the house for years
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi. I'm not usre I completely undefrstand youf quesion... SOKMEONE has to or the country will sell the house to pay the taxes ... If that's not a concern for you then there would be no reason for you to pay the taxes.

...

Have I understood your question?

..Let me know .. I'll be here

...

Lane

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i understand that someone has to pay the taxes. the house is not up for sales my brother has been living with my mother his whole life and now that she has passed he wants me to help with the taxes while he continues living in the house
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

You have no obligation to do this.

...

IF, however, the house will pass to you someday your making sure that the property taxes are paid will KEEP the house from eing sold efore you inherit it.

...

And if you ALREADY own half because it was left to you both ... then, again, the risk is the house is seized and sold at tax sale.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

...
I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.
...
Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")
...
But again, let me know if you need more on this.
Lane