Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have been in a controlling relationship for 2 years. I

Customer Question

I have been in a controlling relationship for 2 years. I have a business that generates an income of 200k a year. My fiance said he should control it. He had more experience. He has a business too. He handled everything -- and if I questioned it, he said we were done. Anyway, he filed our tax returns last year by balancing our write offs. He took a 5k tax bill and I would get a 5k tax return. He played the system.
When I questioned it he told me that I had no business questioning it because I am not a seasoned person like he is and that I shoudl 'back off". Because we had an extension -- we are awaiting my tax return. It hasn't come yet and he told me that if I get it and don't hand it to him -- he will go back and ammend his tax return to make sure that he gets a big pay check and i get a big bill.
I just independently emailed and called our accountant to tell him what's going on. He told me my fiance called the other day and asked him to call the IRS on his own to find out where my return is. My accountant told him I needed a power of attorney signed to do that and that INFURIATED my fiance.
So, here we sit -- he is threatening me with this -- Holding ALL of my money -- and paychecks.
I withheld my last paycheck for 3 days because I was considering leaving and he notated on the bank account "DEPOSIT (MY NAME) WITHHELD FOR 1 WEEK AND JEAPORDIZED BILLS)
How would you deal with this? And is this tax fraud?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You are in dangerous territory if your fiance is playing the system. If you signed the tax return that he prepared on your behalf, you are acknowledging that what is on the tax return is correct and would be responsible.

My best advice would be for you to take back control of your company. Have your accountant review your tax return and amend your return if necessary to reflect correct information.

It is tax fraud to make misrepresentations on a tax return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,

Barb