Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I received a letter from the iRS stating I owed taxes from

Customer Question

I received a letter from the iRS stating I owed taxes from 2013 and 2014. Confused because both years I received a small refund. My husband died in 2013. The letter threatened a lien. My challenge is that, during my move to downsize, I have misplaced the letter. I simply cannot get anyone on the phone. Suggestions??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

You need the information as to why you have a tax debt before you can refute it. You could go into your nearest local office and speak to someone that could pull up your record of account or you can request a transcript.

You would ask for a Tax Account Transcript - it shows basic data such as return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income and all payment types. It also shows changes made after you filed your original return.

If the IRS changed your return it would show on the transcript.

You can request that by following the instructions here

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

To find your nearest office use this

https://apps.irs.gov/app/officeLocator/

As I said, until you can know what this is you cannot address it specifically.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Did you want to reply?