Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I received a tax notice of levy on wages today. I have no

Customer Question

I received a tax notice of levy on wages today. I have no idea of why i received them
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: It state that it a 1040. I don't know what questions to ask
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: The address is wrong on the form
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi .. was the name on the notice correct?

...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but incorrect address. I have never lived in florida
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

If the name was wrong as well, then this just means that this has been delivered to a wrong address ... OK bear with me for a sec

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any knowledge of owning tax from a previous year?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The name is correcr
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The date is from 2011. I still have the forms
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any knowledge of owning tax from a previous year? If not I'd call them right away (actually, either way). I you get to them before they start the garnishment you can get this (either fixed) or make a payment arrangement

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

If it turns out that the tax debt is correct, often you can get the IRS to agree to an installment agreement.

...

If you can convince the IRS that the wage garnishment causes financial hardship, they might let up — at least until your financial situation improves. If you can’t pay for basic living expenses as a result of the wage garnishment, you’ll probably get them to agree to wait.

...

Also ... again, just trying to lay out all the options, understand that the IRS wage garnishment is specific to an employer. If you change employers, the IRS has to get a new garnishment, and that will take them several months.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

But if this is NOT right ... (have your forms ready when you call and you should be able to see what's going on ... maybe they made a correction to th return and they didn't get it?) ... they DO make mistakes ... and they'll correct it

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

If you received an IRS tax bill or notice in the mail, call the phone number listed on your notice. You can also call the tax help line for individuals (1-***-***-****) or businesses (1-***-***-****) to speak with an IRS representative.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Questions from here?

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986