Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

What is the truth about cash rebates on all items you bought

Customer Question

what is the truth about cash rebates on all items you bought in 2016.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I would like to know if I can get cash rebates on the air conditioner,couch,tv,bed and box spring and kitchen set I bought for new apartment in march 2016
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

It is not a rebate (although some posts online use that term). It is the use of sales tax as deduction on Schedule A

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

If you file a Form 1040, and itemize deductions on Schedule A, you have the option of claiming either state and local income taxes or state and local sales taxes (you can’t claim both). If you saved your receipts throughout the year, you can add up the total amount of sales taxes you actually paid and claim that amount.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got this info from the Oxford club but I forget his name.As usual the info was wrong and that report about cash rebates is a bunch of baloney.I am sorry I spent $5 that I should have know better this is a low scam thanks john renz never again
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

Their terms are misleading but the deduction on Schedule A is real.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was mislead by the Oxford rebate article and the answer did not mean a thing to me and I am sorry I spent $5 dollars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

I will tell Customer Support so they can assist you with that $5

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure why your question was back on the open list.