PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

Why does the IRS want my client list and my employee list

Customer Question

Why does the IRS want my client list and my employee list and PTIN for a tax promoter admit of my business
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 month ago.

Hi again.Customerhere.

IRSc wants a list of all the potential returns that have the potential for tax promoter penalty. They also want to verify their records. They might be targeting these taxpayers for examination.

Do NOT turn these records over without the advice of tax counsel. Do not try to represent yourself.

Again, good luck with this exam. Positive feedback is appreciated when you review my response. I'mCustomer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You stated that this is CID on the letter it's being conducted by a revenue agent? What has been your experience with 6701?
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 month ago.

I took the liberty of looking to see if you had asked any related questions earlier. It seems you received help from another expert about what you reported to be EITC claims. I did not know the content of the exam, or who was operating it, until reviewing earlier questions.

Since the audit is being managed by a revenue agent, and not a Special Agent (CID - the gold shield), you are likely not targeted criminally. I still wouldn't respond directly or represent yourself in the exam.

I answered your original question, and the related one about a "tax promoter audit" before reading what another expert had advised.

I'm uncomfortable expanding the scope of my response, since you have received what I believe to be accurate, quality advice on the subject. Our site does offer a second opinion option, but when you split your follow up questions up, it's hard to respond.

I hope you will consider my opinion regarding your audit. I disagree with the notion of responding to this yourself, but my opinion is consistent with that previously provided.

Thanks again for using Just Answer. Please rate my response with positive feedback to close out your request. I'mCustomer