Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I did taxes for my son at H&R block online for 2015. I was

Customer Question

I did taxes for my son at H&R block online for 2015. I was ill and lived with him that year. while doing taxes I followed the directions and it was that he didn't have to pay the "Lack of Insurance fee." He was notified by the IRS that he should have paid the fee. I gave him all copies of my work including W-2s, which he cannot find. He wants me to fix this but I have no idea where to start with no info at all. Can you please direct me how to proceed?
Thank you,
Jeanette Jasek
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi Jeanette. My name's Lane. Looks like no one else s picking this up. I can help

...

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

...

CAn you tell me Where your son obtained coverage?

..

The answer changes depending on whether he received the coverage through work, bought through the government marketplace (Obamacare), of purchased in the general market from an agent or broker.

...

let me know, and we can go from there

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

OK I still don't see you coiming into the chat here ... While I'm waiting, let me give you some general information form IRS on this:

...

Reporting Health Coverage on IRS Tax Forms

...

While most taxpayers will simply need to check a box on their tax return to indicate they had health coverage for all of 2015, there are a few forms and specific lines on Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ that relate to the health care law.

...

To help navigate health coverage reporting, you should consider filing your return electronically.Using tax preparation software is the best and simplest way to file a complete and accurate tax return as it guides you through the process and does all the math. There are a variety of electronic filing options, including free volunteer assistance, IRS Free File for taxpayers who qualify, commercial software, and professional assistance.

...

Here is information about reporting health coverage:
...
Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions

...

• Complete this form if you need to claim a coverage exemption on your return or report a Marketplace-granted coverage exemption.
  • Use the worksheet in the Form 8965 Instructions if you need to calculate the shared responsibility payment.

...

Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit

...

• Complete this form to claim this credit on your tax return, and to reconcile advance payments of the premium tax credit.

...

Form 1095, Health Care information Forms

...

• If you enrolled in coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you should receive Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, which will help complete Form 8962. Wait to file until you receive this form.
  • Your health coverage provider or your employer may furnish you with a Form 1095-B, Health Coverage, or Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage. You do not have to wait to receive these forms before your file your tax return.
  • See our questions and answers for more information about how these forms affect your tax return.

...

Form 1040

...

• Line 46: Enter advance payments of the premium tax credit that must be repaid
  • Line 61: Report health coverage or enter individual shared responsibility payment
  • Line 69: Report net premium tax credit if the allowed premium tax credit is more than advance credit payments paid on your behalf

...

Form 1040-A

...

• Line 29: Enter advance payments of the premium tax credit that must be repaid
  • Line 38: Report health coverage or enter individual shared responsibility payment
  • Line 45: Report net premium tax credit if the allowed premium tax credit is more than advance credit payments paid on your behalf

...

Form 1040-EZ

...

• Line 11: Report health coverage or enter individual shared responsibility payment
  • Form 1040EZ cannot be used to report advance payments or to claim the premium tax credit
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But again, let me know if you need more on this.

Lane