Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Can loan out on a rental property to buy a primary residence

Customer Question

can loan out on a rental property to buy a primary residence and claim the interest on the loan
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I own a rental house worth 1.3 m mortgage is paid off. I would like to borrow 500k on it to buy a primary residence. Can I claim the interest on the 500k loan
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Yes, absolutely. This would be a legitimate interest deduction on your schedule E on which you report the operations regarding your rental property. This wouldn't be deductible on Schedule A as mortgage interest on your principal residence, but it would be mortgage interest on your rental property and thus deductible.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!