Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My sister has a tax lien from the IRS on Her house, My

Customer Question

My sister has a tax lien from the IRS on Her house, My Father has his house in a trust for me and my sister if he dies will the IRS put a lien on the house in trust, If the back taxes of my sister aren't paid by then.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: OK
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Please explain
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here

...

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Please bear with me for a moment, while I prepare your response.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

It's possible ... IRS can only attach any assets actually owned by her.

...

So if she is sill alive and the house is retitled to her (or to her and anyone else, jointly) then at THAT point they could legally put a lien on the property

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

If the house STAYS in trust, they cannot attach. But once she is on the title (and the tax debt is still owed) it IS a possibility

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane