Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

My fiance and I are getting married before the end of the

Customer Question

Hi, my fiance and I are getting married before the end of the year. I would like to know the tax implications.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: We're in NYS. From what I understand we can file jointly for 2016 even if we married at the end of the year.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: In regards ***** ***** Affordable Heeaht Care Act, we can apply for ihealth insurance. I'm assuming the "rate" would be based on our joint income, minus deductions?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. You are correct that if you are married by the end of the year you would be able to married filing joint. If you file a joint return you would combine your income and deductions to determine your taxable income.

You would have the option of filing married filing jointly or married filing separately. If you file jointly you would combine your income and deductions, if you file separately you would of course keep your income and deductions separate.