Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I quit a company and we had a esop program and say they can

Customer Question

I quit a company and we had a esop program and say they can pay me off in 5 years well I was wondering if there is any way I could get it now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

Legally they can BUT, if the plan document doesn;t allow it (and you have a legal right to see the plan document) then the plan could become out of compliance. (both IRS and DOL)

...

Distributions may be made all at once (a "lump sum") or in substantially equal payments that are made no less frequently over annually over a period of not more than five years. (This means there can be six annual payments, counting the first year.) The five-year period can be extended for very large balances (an indexed amount currently over $1 million).

...

Ask them for a copy of the "plan document."

...

There are three regulators for a qualified plan (including ESOPs) (1) Tax law (IRS enforced) (2) ERISA (DOL enforced, and (3) the plan's "plan document."

...

If rhe plan document allows it, you can take in a lump sum.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.