Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have some tax docs for a client that need to be signed.

Customer Question

I have some tax docs for a client that need to be signed. Some are efilling years and some are tax returns for years not eligible for e-file as too far back. So the Client and his wife need to sign 8879s, federal and Calif, and then a fed 1040 and CA 540 for an earlier year. The client is out of town. I have not used electronic signatures in general before, but client is asking if this is possible. I used Inuit Pro Series for taxes, and also have some other document pgm. Do e sigs work on 8879s and tax returns? If so, any tips?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The IRS only accept the wet signature (actual pen on paper) or e-filing signature (the return is actually signed by series of numbers listed on 8879). And at this time of year you cannot e-file any personal return anymore. What type of returns are you trying to e-file? E-filing deadline for 2015 expired on October 15th and all prior years must be filed on paper, no 8879 needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My Intuit Pro Series program will I believe allow me to efile 2013, 14 and 15, I sent you IRS reference on that the other day.. I will have to paperfile 2012. I have not used e-sginature before, and am not familier with procedure. Can you give me a brief overview on how it works. I have a husband and wife in separage locations, as his working on the road right now.

This is from Turbo Tax, which is also Intuit: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900829-can-i-still-e-file-a-2015-2014-or-earlier-tax-return

If what you are saying is possible, you will have to be IRS authorized e-file provider. Most preparers do not have the authorization to e-file returns. It is usually done through a third party.

Ok. I will opt out and let somebody else help you.

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Dave. It's Barbara. I've assisted you in the past.

Looks like you will have to purchase Intuit's ProConnect to allow for the s-signatures.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/esignature-proseries/

As to a "wet" signature, the IRS does accept faxed signatures.

Here's the info on the MeF:

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/e-file-providers-partners/benefits-of-1040-modernized-e-file

It appears the only return you will have to paper file is 2012.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb