Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

How much can one deduct for food expenses each day on the

Customer Question

How much can one deduct for food expenses each day on the road for educational trips for one's profession?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband and I take classes in other parts of the country. We are both therapists for the education and airplane fares are a tax deduction. We don't know how much we can deduct per day for food?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: We usually eat at restaurants two or three times per day while away.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.
  • Meal expenses are deductible if your business trip is overnight or long enough that you need to stop for substantial sleep or rest to properly perform your duties. Meal expenses are also deductible if the meal is business-related entertainment. You can figure all your travel meal expenses using either of the following methods:
    • Actual cost. If you use this method, you must keep records of your actual cost. This would mean keeping those receipts.
    • The standard meal allowance, which is the federal meals and incidental expense (M&IE) per diem rate. The GSA website lists these rates by location. Note that lower rates apply for the first and last days of travel.

The GSA site is based on where you have to go overnight so the amounts for different cities are used.

Here is a link to the site http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877

The deduction for unreimbursed business meals is generally subject to a 50% limitation. This means that only half the actual expense or the daily allowance (should you choose that) is deducted.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Did you need any clarification ?