Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Tax question: My husband lives in Michigan and I live in

Customer Question

Tax question: My husband lives in Michigan and I live in Georgia and work in Georgia. We are trying to find the best way to file our income taxes. We both own homes. His income is 149K and my income is 81K. What would be the best way and more beneficial way for us to file our income taxes.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You will use the married filing jointly filing status for your federal tax return.

GA permits you to file married filing separate even if you file married filing jointly on your federal tax return. Unfortunately, in MI if you use the married filing jointly filing status for federal, you are required to file married filing jointly in MI.

My best advice would be to create a "mock" married filing jointly tax return for federal and then create a "mock" married filing separate tax return for each of you for federal to determine which filing status is more advantageous.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Best regards,

Barb