Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

Where do I find proof of paid taxes on retirement?

Customer Question

I paid my retirement payment after they took out the state and federal taxes and was told that when I retired I would not have to pay taxes on this as I had paid it upfront. I have had problems with the IRS and don't know where to look for this information to back this up. I am from Arizona and worked for 20 years as a Correctional Officer for the state of Arizona. When I filled out my retirement paperwork I was not allowed to have with holding held out for this.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 month ago.

Hi

Most retirement plans including ASRS are fully taxable, but if you contributed to your retirement fund with after tax money, then you're correct and your benefits should be tax free.

Can you please tell me how your employer reported your retirement income. On a Form 1099R (link below), and what boxes were filled out:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099r.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also wanted to let you know that when we went to our retirement seminar that we were told we had 320 months free from paying Federal taxes since we paid them the way we did. I can get the information to you tomorrow. I appreciate your help. Is this okay if I contact you tomorrow?
Expert:  Anne replied 1 month ago.
Tomorrow would be fine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much. Have a great evening.
Expert:  Anne replied 1 month ago.

You too, and you're most welcome