Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I need a copy of my late husband's tax return or W-2 from

Customer Question

I need a copy of my late husband's tax return or W-2 from 1993. He died that year.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Husband was a federal CSRS employee. He paid no social security, in those days. I have his 1992. I receive a monthly death benefit. I am almost ready to file for my own Social Security and need to know if there will be an offset. Certain conditions seem to apply so that it won't be off set by my federal annuity.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: For instance? Nothing that I'm aware of. I called OPM and my benefit is not considered a retirement benefit, but a death benefit, as classified on my 1099R.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 months ago.

SSA can give you copies/printouts of Forms W-2 for any year from 1978 to the present. You can get free copies if you need them for a Social Security-related reason. But there is a fee of $86 for each year if you need them for an unrelated reason.

The Internal Revenue Service will give you W-2s free if you ask for them for a tax-related purpose but unfortunately, the IRS can rarely go back that far. The IRS maintains microfilm of processed W-2s or W-2 data only for the current tax year of processing and the previous 9 years. They cannot provide W-2 copies for any earlier years.

Ssend your request to:

Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations
Division of Earnings and Business Services
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MD###-##-####/p>

Be sure to include:

• Social Security number;
  • The exact name shown on the Social Security card;
  • Any different names shown on your W-2;
  • Your complete mailing address;
  • The year(s) for which you need copies;
  • Your daytime telephone number; and
  • The reason for your request.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry. Not the answer I needed. Something got lost in the interpretation. My husband was a federal worker who never paid in to SS. They won't have those records. Tax is probably not he area I need to explore with this. Thank you for your attention. I will not longer need any further assistance.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

SSA would still have a copy of his W2. All copies are sent to SSA.