Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I am 75 and get 25kss,5k from annuity total30k...so I file

Customer Question

I am 75 and get 25kss,5k from annuity total30k...so I file tax returns but do not need to pay..this year I need to pay medical bills and expenses...how much can I take to stay in a low tax bracket
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Well, as usual, that depends.

Let's try to go at this in a slightly different manner.

Are you Single?

How much do you need to withdraw (from your annuity?) to pay the medical bills you referred to?

I ask, because if the medical bills plus any other itemized deductions are sufficient to exceed the Standard Deduction, then if your withdrawals are for deductible medical expenses, including medical insurance premiums, then most of what you withdraw won't be taxable anyway.

The only negative aspect is if you need to withdraw a substantial amount (again is it from your annuity?) then it is possible that a portion of your Social Security benefits will become subject to tax, although most likely that won't apply unless you need to withdraw an extra 25K or 30K and even then you would remain in the 10% federal tax bracket for only a few thousand dollars of taxable income resulting in a few hundred dollars in tax.

But if you give me your filing status, Single? and how much you need for medical bills and where you plan on obtaining that, I can give you a more definitive answer.