emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I have a question about schedule C, Legal and professional

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a question about schedule C
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Legal and professional fees
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I have software fees for tax preparation. Should that be on line 17 of schedule C?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Tax preparation fees are normally deducted on Schedule A. You can allocate a portion of the fees on Schedule C, depending on complexity of your return and Schedule C. If your primary source of income is from your small business, I would allocate between 50 - 75% of the fees to Schedule C and rest to Schedule A. You can deduct it as legal and professional or as tax preparation fees in section V - Other expenses.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is actually for my homework so I just want to make sure is it on line 17 or other expenses?

It could be both, depending who prepares your tax return, both ways are acceptable.

According to Schedule C instructions, line 17:

Include on this line fees charged by accountants and attorneys that are ordinary and necessary expenses directly related to operating your business. Include fees for tax advice related to your business and for preparation of the tax forms related to your business. Also include expenses incurred in resolving asserted tax deficiencies related to your business.

If it is for homework, go with line 17.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.