How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2396
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I bought a condo in CT 7 yrs ago, both

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I bought a condo in CT 7 yrs ago, both names on the mortgage and deed. We broke up and he is refinancing the unit on his own. Is there anything I need to know other than signing off on the deed at closing?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm not asking for anything as the unit was on the market for 2 yrs and didn't sell and he will make no money on it if and when he decides to sell.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't understand the question?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I assume he will have to pay me half of the mortgage taxes when he files the end of this yr and that should be all I expect from this.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: what is the timeframe for me to talk to someone?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 5 months ago.


I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Anne replied 5 months ago.

Hi Sue

Not only does your boyfriend need to get a new loan with only his name, you also need to have your name removed from the title/deed. Basically, you want your name off of everything that relates to the

Not all break ups are nasty, mine certainly wasn't, but you stated you assumed that he would pay you 1/2of the mortgage. If there's any doubt in your mind that he may not pay you the money, you might want to check with an attorney and see what steps you have to do FIRST, before you sign off of everything, to protect yourself should there be a problem down the road.

If you have found my answer helpful, then please take a moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He was already approved on his own for the refi and yes we are very cortial so I can prob just ask that he pay me upfront as we know from previous yrs what amt we received as a refund on the condo. I can also have him sign a letter stating he will pay me but I'm not worried about that. If paying me the tax money is the only thing I need to worry about then I think I'm ok. I just wanted to know if I need an attorney for anything else.
Expert:  Anne replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like you will be just fine........most attorney's will offer a free initial contact if you want to run it by them, just to be safe rather than sorry........but it does seems as though you're going to be just fine.

I hope this helps........and please don't forget to rate positive.

Expert:  Anne replied 5 months ago.

Hi Sue

I just wanted to check back with you to see if you had any follow up questions that I could help you with. If not, please remember that it is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

I'm more than happy to help you more if you have any follow up questions, and thank you for choosing justanswer.