Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I just filed my taxes for 2015 (had extensions) and owed

Customer Question

I just filed my taxes for 2015 (had extensions) and owed $8,033 in taxes. I paid $2000 and plan to pay the rest within a month from our home refinance. The loan company wants a statement from the IRS stating our payoff amount as they insist that they pay the IRS for us. How do I ask for this payoff amount and get it in writing.?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. What confuses you?
Customer: I cannot find anything online about how to do it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Not really
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

If you don’t have your notice, you can call 1-***-***-**** to find out your current payoff amount.

...

You can also use the Get Transcript tool to request a Tax Account Transcript if you need to verify that payments you already made were applied to your tax account.

...

Note: A transcript won’t provide you with a payoff amount, but show that payments since your notice have been applied.

...

So sorry, but the only sure-fire way to get a "payoff amount" is to do the curl up with a good book method, call them, and wait (wait times are now about 30 minutes, since we're past Oct 15th extension time)

...

You can see all of that from IRA here: https://www.irs.gov/payments/finding-out-how-much-you-owe

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Here's the page for the "get transcript" tool: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript.

...

Use the blue button that says. "get transcript online."

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, a Master’s Degree, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986