Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Ny state. i am sole proprietor dba and owe back sales taxes.

Customer Question

ny state. i am sole proprietor dba and owe back sales taxes. wife and i only have 1 joint bank account which has been levied for this debt. wife needs to open a new account, in her name only, to cash her paychecks. can the gov then levy her new account for my debt?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here

...

No, they cannot. If you are the only owner, and the tax debt is yours alone, that cannot levy ir put a lien on any separate property (property in her name only).

...

This includes financial accounts, (bank accounts, brokerage accounts, etc), real property, etc.

...

They CAN levy anything owned jointly by the debtor and another person. (this is because under joint ownership you both essentially own all of the asset - either of you could empty the account at either time)

...

But if you are the debtor here (and for a soleproprietorship there IS only one owner) they can not levy anything in her name only.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me.

...

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, a Master’s Degree, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986