How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1644
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a G4 Visa holder and I am trying to buy a house to give

Customer Question

I am a G4 Visa holder and I am trying to buy a house to give out for rent. My questions are:
a) Can I legally buy a house, jointly with another US citizen?
b) Can I then rent that property and have rental income from that property?
c) Do I have to pay taxes in the US for that? As a G4 visa holder, I don't need to pay any US taxes in general.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Yes, you can legally buy a home with another US Citizen. You would need a TAX ID number when you sell the property. Yes you would need to report the rental income on a tax return. You would report the rental income and expenses. If there is any net income this would be the amount that would potentially be taxable.