How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Martin Your Own Question
Rick Martin
Rick Martin, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 93
Experience:  CPA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Rick Martin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2013 my mom gave a 28 acre farm to my son (disabled) and

This answer was rated:

In 2013 my mom gave a 28 acre farm to my son (disabled) and me because we were caring for her until her death July 2015. This year I sold 9 acres. I want to sell 10 more. We live in a double wide on permanent foundation which she bought for us 2013 and we have lived here since that time. Do we have to pay capital gains tax? Thanks for your help.

Hi, my name is*****'m a CPA with 25 years experience. I'm glad to answer your question. If you have a capital gain on the sale of the 9 acres, then yes, you would pay capital gains tax. Let me explain.

Rick Martin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

It was great to meet you over the phone. The 2016 capital gains rate is 15% for most taxpayers. -Rick

Dee, please feel free to ask me for help in the future. Have a good night!

Hi Dee, some real estate brokers are required to file 1099-S. Your broker should be able to tell you if they are doing so and what the numbers will be (your accountant needs to know). For the 10 acres, whether there is a 1099 depends on whether it is a private transaction. -Rick