Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I filed an amended return for 2015 tax year and the IRS

Customer Question

I filed an amended return for 2015 tax year and the IRS received it on April 18th, 2016. It took until September 16th to report completed. However, the check is just sitting there waiting to be processed. It is now over month later and still no check. Is this normal? When I call the IRS, I just get that they have an extremely high call volume and it hangs up on me every time I call now. We are now 6 months into waiting with absolutely no communication.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Usually it does take a little bit longer for amended returns to be processed. It is not abnormal for it to take 6 months. Was it a big change in the amended return?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. It was actually very simple. My son is away at college and I had claimed that he lived with us for 0 months instead of 12 months. It was a stupid mistake and an easy fix.

Did it change the amount of overall taxes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We're expecting $3500 back. It is marked "completed" in the IRS system. When I call them, they say the check should be cut and mailed any time. It has been a month. Is this normal?

Unfortunately that is normal.

Did the amended return change your refund at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By $3500.

Ok, I see. On the original return you did not receive credit for your son. Sometimes they hold refunds on amended returns if there are questionable transactions. In your case this was just a simple error. When was the last time you contacted the IRS?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Some time around September 30th. They weren't sure why it was just sitting there waiting to be cut. Now when I call, I just get a message that says their call volume is too high.

The deadline for individual taxes that were expended was Monday, so the call volume should be less for the IRS going forward. Sometimes there is a hold code (freeze code) placed on the account and this needs to be removed before the check can be sent.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this something I should ask them if I can get through? The people don't seem to know much every time I call...

Just that you are calling to check on the status of your refund. Any of the customer service people should be able to help you. Have you been using the amended phone number.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
p>
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been calling(###) ###-####ext 633. That's the number they give when you log in to check your status and haven't heard from them. Should I call the number you gave me instead?

The number that I gave you is to check on the status of an amended return. I would imagine that it is the same information that is contained on the website.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Same information that the website gives. I'll just keep being patient then.

I just tried the 1-***-***-****. It allows you to at least hold for a representative. It does not give an estimate of the hold time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll try again then. I called an hour ago and shortly after the music plays, they tell you to call back another time and it hangs up.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still busy and told me to call back the next business day. I'll try again later. Thank you for your time.

Here is another number : it is the Practitioner​ number (###) ###-#### Explain that you tried the other number and they hung up on you and tell you to call back later.

They keep shrinking the IRS and now they do not have enough bodies to help taxpayers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There message says they are limiting calls for Practitioners that have clients ...... I'm not sure if they will talk with me.

I think that they probably would help. Usually it is a relatively short wait time. I think if you explain your situation and that you tried the other number over several times that they would help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
15 minutes. Should I tell them I talking with you even though you are not representing me to them?

Sure, if you have any trouble I can get a power of attorney form from you and call on your behalf.