Rick Martin
Rick Martin, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA

We are a U.S. Company that specializes in plant relocations.

We are a U.S. Company that specializes in plant relocations. We shipped manufacturing equipment to Mexico and hired a Mexican rigging company to install. When they invoiced, they added a 16% tax. This was not included in our quote to our customer. Do we have to pay this tax?

Hi this is Rick. I'm a CPA with 25 years experience. Mexico adds a 16% tax to practically all goods and services, but usually it is included in the price quoted. In your case, it was not. Then it becomes a legal question as to whether their quote was binding. The tax definitely needs to be paid, but you have a valid dispute with the rigging company.

You may find this article interesting.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you. We didn't even know there was a tax. We never have had it added to an invoice before.

You're welcome. Please let me know if you have any follow on question, and thank you in advance for a positive rating. -Rick

Thank you for your rating & bonus! Please feel free to ask for me anytime. -Rick