Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I just got married however my husband lives in Maryland and

I just got married however my husband lives in Maryland and live in Denver. My property is in my name and his property is in his name. Our plan is not to move in together until my job ends. Which is in two years. Can we still file our taxes separate since we live in different states?

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will get an answer drafted for you.

There are more benefits for filing jointly but yes you can file separately if you choose. The benefit could be that filing separately, you do not assume legal and financial responsibility for the other spouse's tax obligations. So to answer your question, yes you can file separately if married in separate states if you choose. See article below for factors.

See link for married separately vs. jointly:

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: