Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I live in California. I sold the stuff around my house

Customer Question

I live in California. I sold the stuff around my house online during the summer - mostly books - and made around $ 700 gross sales. Then I decided to do this as a business and got my seller permit on Sep 27. After I got the permit I started to collect sale tax but before I didn't collect tax. Do I need to declare this revenue to California Board of Equalization as gross sales on quarterly sale tax return form or just declare the amounts after sep 27 ? Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because you obtained your seller's permit on 9/27, my best advice would be to use the sales from that day forward for sales tax purposes.

For income reporting purposes on your federal and state tax returns, you should include the $700 in your total income.

The following link contains great information about sales tax in CA which you may find helpful:

http://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-for-california/

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for quick response Barbara.