PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

I make weekly cash contributions of $60 to $100 to my

Customer Question

I make weekly cash contributions of $60 to $100 to my episcopal church. I put the cash into an envelope with my name. The church records the donation and sends me a year-end accounting of all my cash donations. Will the church's year end receipt be enough to qualify all of the cash donations? My yearly cash total given is often close to $2,000.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 month ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer Great question.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 month ago.

Envelopes with your name and cash should be counted by the church and recorded. They're statement should be correct as to total, and IRS typically accepts such statements without any additional inquiry.

However, envelopes with cash might not be recorded on your behalf, for several reasons.

I have had to recreate similar charitable contributions in cash. Since you give each week, and attend services, you should be known by the church. I have had churches write a letter that supported cash contributions like yours. "Mr. Jones attend services each week, and contributed $40 per week..." would be a part of the letter, if needed.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 month ago.

To summarize, the statement would be enough for IRS.

If you don't get a statement, or there is an error, a letter from the church would confirm the amount of you ask.

Your assertion that you go to church each week, and that you give each week, could also help if you are ever asked.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer