Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

I do have a question, for 1040-nr returns: I do business in

Customer Question

hi! I do have a question
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: for 1040-nr returns: I do business in the us and I live in france. I overpaid my taxes with my extension by 3500 dollars because I forgot to include some of my expenses. I am about to e-file. should i not take those expenses for fear of audit? they are legit. I just forgot to include when I figured my extension pmts for state and fed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you simply forgot to deduct the expenses, you should include them when you file your tax return. The IRS understands that people make mistakes.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. So if I am a french citizen with an american work visa, do I need to pay self-employment tax?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
that's the last of my questions
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 days ago.

I do not understand your latest question because in the initial information you provided you said you do business in the U.S. and live in France.

Wages paid to nonresident aliens employed within the United States by an American or foreign employer, in general, are subject to Social Security/Medicare taxes for services performed by them within the United States.

The following link contains excellent information: