Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986

HELP! I did 2015 income tax return thru TURBO. It was

Customer Question

HELP! I did 2015 income tax return thru TURBO. It was rejected twice due to fact I didn't have a number that was on my 2014 return. Could not obtain. Used an option given of my total income for 2015. Still rejected. Now on an extension, I have tried thru IRS to retrieve to no avail. (TURBO had put in the income amount automatically-still did not matter.
This number is ***** previously assigned, but my not knowing it would be a required field, I never wrote it down (from my 2014 return).
I am afraid I will be rejected again without this individual number. My Turbo Tax ID is***@******.***, and the number just given me by Turbo thru email is 904514
If you need my pin, let me know. Thank you, Linda
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 10 days ago.

Hi. Sorry to hear. Just in case, I would try to get a postmark today and send it to the IRS, if possible. You can get a prepaid postage through the post office online, if the post offices are not open. Some of the post office stores are opened late tonight.

Expert:  Barbara replied 10 days ago.

Different expert here - My name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide you with information that will put your mind at ease.

October 22, 2016

• Final deadline to resubmit a rejected return that was originally e-filed on or before October 17.
    • If you're expecting a refund and miss the October 22 final cutoff date, you have until April 15, 2019 (October 15, 2019 if you filed an extension) to file a paper return and claim your 2015 refund.

You have until 10/22/16 to resubmit your tax return that was rejected. Keep your email notification from TurboTax for your records.

If you're expecting a refund, don't worry at all. You have until 10/15/19 to file a paper return and claim your refund.

If you have a tax liability, submit your return by 10/22/16 (by certified mail, return receipt requested) with a copy of the rejection email.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Lane replied 10 days ago.

Hello. I am am different expert with a different answer

When self-preparing your taxes, you must verify your identity on your electronic tax return by entering your date of birth and either your prior-year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or your prior- year Self-Select PIN.

Using an electronic filing PIN is no longer an option. This is why you're having trouble trying to re-acquire... That system is no longer available.

Generally, your tax preparation software will populate your prior-year AGI or Self-Select PIN automatically if you’re a returning user ... but if doesn't, you're not out of luck.

There are several ways to find your prior-year AGI:

• On your 2015 tax return, your AGI is on line 37 of the Form 1040; line 21 on the Form 1040-A or line 4 on the Form 1040-EZ.
  • If you used a paid preparer last year, you might obtain a copy of last year’s tax return from that preparer.
  • If you are using the same tax preparation software that you used last year, that software will likely have your prior-year tax return for you to access.
  • If you’re not using the same tax preparation software as last year, you may be able to return to your prior-year software and view an electronic copy of your prior-year return.

Also, there are Alternative Methods

If you do not have a copy of your 2015 tax return, you may use a Get Transcript self-help tool to get a Tax Return Transcript showing your AGI.

• Use Get Transcript Online to immediately view your AGI. You must pass the Secure Access identity verification process. Select the Tax Return Transcript and use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.
Expert:  Lane replied 10 days ago.

Again, at this point your best best is to go to the Get MY Transcript, the look up your 2014 AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) number form there. Again that's (use the blue GET TRANSCRIPT ONLINE button)

Note where it says Adjusted Gross Income at the bottom of page 2 of this SAMPLE TRANSCRIPT:

Expert:  Lane replied 10 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me.

And if you DON'T have other questions Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …would be appreciated!

Otherwise I receive no compensation for the work.

Thank you,

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, a Master’s Degree, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986