How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ABC Accounting Group Your Own Question
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 650
Experience:  Business Consultant/Accounting Manager
Type Your Tax Question Here...
ABC Accounting Group is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband passed away in Nov. 2015. We divorced in

This answer was rated:

My ex-husband passed away in Nov. 2015. We divorced in 2012....married since 1996. I have not re-married. I understand that I can claim his social security. I am 58 years old. How soon can i do this and how do i go about doing so?

Yes - if you were married to him for 10 years or longer. The only item is that you have to be 62 or older.


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is the 62 age because we're divorced, instead of collectiong now?

No - great question, though - it is the minimum age you can collect on his social security - even if you were still married to him.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome.

ABC Accounting Group and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you