Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

If I am a NYS business and a product (taxable) in Texas, do

Customer Question

If I am a NYS business and a product (taxable) in Texas, do I need to charge them Texas sales tax? I bought the product i resold tax free.
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My products come in from all over the world. Some are based right here in NYS while some products come from China. In all cases they are not charging me taxes. For the NYS suppliers (and other states as well), I am supplying a W-9 when requested. China has never asked me for any sort of a reseller certificate.
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If your business is located in NY, and you have no nexus (physical presence, i.e., office, warehouse, etc.) in Texas, you do not collect sales tax from your customers in Texas.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Now what about product I bought in NYS with no taxes assessed? Example: bought LG TV at $500 (no taxes), sold at $700. What you are saying is if it is a NYS sale I would tax ($700 + 8% = $756). If I sold it to someone in Texas the goods I bought are not taxed nor is the customer.
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 days ago.

I am saying that any sales you make to customers outside of NY are NOT subject to sales tax. Any sales you make to customers in NY are subject to sales tax.

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 days ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,