Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

I live in CA I have PTSD I get overwhelmed easily. 3 yrs ago

Customer Question

Hi I live in CA I have PTSD I get overwhelmed easily. 3 yrs ago I received a lump sum settlement from WC I'm receiving help from welfare medi cal only. Due to my PTSD I never reported it to welfare am I in trouble? I'm really concerned it didn't occur to me to report it for medi cal use it was 3 yrs ago please help me with this question. I'm stressing out badly it was a mistake on my part.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Under Medi-Cal-only, these payments are countable resources in the month you receive them. They will not affect MediCal-only eligibility if your total countable resources do not exceed $2,000 at any time during the month you receive the payment.

If you receive Medi-Cal only, you have to tell the county welfare department about the income within 10 days after you receive it. For example, if you receive the payment on December 5, you must tell the county welfare department about it by December 15.

Based on the information you provided, this lump sum should have been reported 3 years ago when you received the settlement. You may want to contact them to set the record straight.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Barbara replied 9 days ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,