How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2971
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to avoid penalties on an amended form?

Customer Question

I have an extension for my taxes for 2015 - 10/17/2016. The pension I received for 2015 I did not get a form and when I called them they said it would be Thursday the 20th. What can I do to keep from getting slammed with a late filing penalty? The reason for the extension was the accidental .omission of 2014 Social Security Benefits because the file was not saved after the money was entered. This has been resolved.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 months ago.
If you are expecting a refund, it does not matter when you file and there will not be a late filing penalty.
If you anticipate that you will have a tax liability, file your tax return with the information you have by Monday, 10/17. Once you receive the missing document from your pension, you can then file an amended return to include that information.
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you and best regards,

Related Tax Questions