Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

We filed a form 8832 to go from being treated as a single

Customer Question

We filed a form 8832 to go from being treated as a single member LLC to an association with the eligible entity having only one owner. As it turns out, the eligible entity had more than one owner and we should have requested to be treated as a partnership. Is there anyway to amend the originally filed form 8832 to reflect the fact that we wanted to be treated as a partnership? We have already received approval to be treated as an association to be taxed as a corporation effective 01/01/16.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 days ago.

You can make a request to keep your default classification (partnership). Correspondence may be received indicating Form 8832 was filed in error and that you want to default to the classification of partnership (a multi member LLC is a partnership by default). This request must be received by the due date of the initial tax return.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 days ago.

Send the document to the same IRS service center that processed the original election. There is no official form to terminate the election. The letter should be titled' "Revocation of Corporation Status" and include a statement about the circumstances.