Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant

In August 2016 I sold a second home that I bought in 2012

Customer Question

In August 2016 I sold a second home that I bought in 2012 for $25,000. I spent winter months there. I did costly updates, repairs and renovations to the home. Selling price was $58,900, closing costs over $8000. What ownership and renovation expenses are used to figure any capital gains taxes owed.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I am 83 years old, the main reason for the sale is increased disability that prevents me from using my winter home. I own a main home that has a reverse mortgage on it.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 8 days ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. What kind of updates, repairs and renovations did you do?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
New kitchen cabinets, new flooring, wall closings, new appliances, new central air/heat, new landscaping, paint and plaster, complete interior furnishings.

All of these expenses would add to the basis of the property. So to determine the gain or loss you would take your original purchase price of $25,000 + updates, repairs, and renovations = adjusted basis. You your gain or loss would be $58,900 less your adjusted basis less closing costs $8,000.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Waiting for your online response...

Were you able to see my response?