Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

I moved from Puerto Rico on August 2015 to Florida. All my

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I moved from Puerto Rico on August 2015 to Florida. All my income comes from PR because I have a business there. Where do I file my 2016 tax return?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Did you receive my question?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 15 days ago.

Hi. Forgive the bot. My name's Lane ... I can help here

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, for clients on three continents since 1986…

Please bear with me for a moment, while I prepare your response.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Lane replied 15 days ago.

If you are a US Citizen, the, as you likely know, all of your worldwide income is taxable, regardless of where you are.

If you are not a citizen (if you pass the substantial presence test, by being in the US for 180 days) then you are still considered a US TAX resident an all worldwide income is taxed.

If you are not a citizen, and did not become a TAX resident, by passing the substantial presence test, then you will file a different tax form (1040NR), NR standing for non-resident, and only be taxed on the income that you received while IN the US.

Any time your are present in the US, then the income you generate from your business is considered "US source Income."

Expert:  Lane replied 15 days ago.

You may want to look at this chart, as it relates to whether your income (as a non-resident) is US or Foreign Source income.