Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant

Tax law/IRS question: I belong to an organization who was

Customer Question

Tax law/IRS question: I belong to an organization who was putting on a community event. The organization was not able to pay for the entertainment for the event. They did not ask me to do it, but I volunteered to pay for the entertainers (face painters for kids and a balloon artist) for a voter education rally. Do I need to get a W-9 from my organization or a letter from them thanking me for paying for the entertainers so that I can write off the cost as a donation to a non-profit?
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: Mississippi
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thanks
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 9 days ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Does the organization qualify a 501(c)(3) exempt organization.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
it does, it is part of a national non-profit organization known as the Links, Incorporated.

That is good. Then your payments would qualify as a charitable donation. You would need a written acknowledge from the organization to substantiate your donation. The acknowledge must state that you did not receive any goods and services for your contribution. Of course, the written acknowledgement must contain the Fair Market Value of the donation (the amount of payments to the entertainers). The letter must provide sufficient information to substantiate the donation.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
In requesting this letter, what should I call it? Does the IRS have a term for it. Is there an IRS form like a W-9? Thank you.

There is no specific form. You would just need a letter saying that you made a donation in x amount and that no goods or services were exchange. The organization does not need to submit any forms to the IRS regarding the donation.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I appreciate you! Thanks for the information!

It was my pleasure. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.