emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

If my mother's estate sells some stock 15 months after her

Customer Question

If my mother's estate sells some stock 15 months after her passing, and the proceeds are then distributed to the heirs, is their any tax liability for the heirs based on the change of value (if any) of the stock during the 15 month period?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I believe you have all the relevant facts
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, it is. The capital gains will be the difference between the sales price and the fair market value of the stock o day she passed away (step up basis).

For instance, if you sell the stock for $15 a share and the stock was trading for $14 a share 15 month ago, you will have capital gain will be $1 per share.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 days ago.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.