Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

For my 2014 tax return, I used form 4797 instead of form

Customer Question

For my 2014 tax return, I used form 4797 instead of form 8949. It was related to a real estate sale. How exactly do I use the correct form and file amended return using TurboTax. I need step-by-step instructions, please.If you are not familiar with TruboTax then you might want to skip this question.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

I am fully familiar with TurboTax and will be able to walk you through the process over the phone.

I have made you a Premium Service Offer for a phone call. If you accept, please provide a time tomorrow that is convenient for me to call you. I am located in Florida, Eastern Time Zone.

Also, please advise if you used TurboTax online or Desktop to prepare your 2014 tax return.

What type of real estate did you sell? Your primary residence or a rental property? 8949 is for primary residence; 4797 is for rental property.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not interested in phone call.Are you sure that 8949 is for primary residence?It was a lot that was purchased for investment purposes.
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Lots purchased for investment purposes that are sold are reported on Form 8949.

http://finance.zacks.com/file-sale-vacant-land-irs-9166.html

Likewise, Form 8949 is also used to report the sale of a primary residence.

http://oureverydaylife.com/federal-tax-form-use-sold-house-28985.html

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The original question remains. How to remove 4797, add 8949 and then file amendment in TurboTax?
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Desktop or online?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Desktop
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Here are the instructions to amend your 2014 tax return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2693843-how-do-i-amend-a-2014-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download-software

If you have any difficulty at all, you can call TurboTax directly, and one of its representatives can walk you through the process FOR FREE.

The number is(###) ###-#### You can call between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Pacific time (11:00 am - 8:00 pm Eastern time).

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need specific help to remove form 4797, add form 8949, and then file the amended return.The information you have provided is pretty generic.
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

I offered step-by-step assistance via phone call.

Once you accept, we can proceed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My apologies. I never do phone help. It is just too expensive for me.I think you should open this up. My original question was for step-by-step help.
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

I understand. I'll opt out so another expert can assist.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Admin. Please close this question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Admin. Please close this question